Looking for a fresh take on classic Kentucky Derby recipes. Chef Nikkia Rhodes, CTE Culinary Arts Instructor at Iroquois High School and her students have put together three recipes that are sure to make your at-home Derby party a tasty hit. From Hot Brown Sliders to non-alcoholic Mint Lemonade Julep, there’s something for everyone.
Enjoy and Happy Derby!
Hot Brown Sliders
- 1 pack of king’s Hawaiian rolls
- 1 pack of ham or turkey
- 1 pack of bacon or turkey bacon, cooked to your liking
- 3-4 large Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces grated gruyere
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Then stir in the flour to form a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the raw flour flavor has cooked out.
Slowly add in the milk and